E.L. Jenckes Store Museum
Built in 1833, the Jenckes Store was
operated for generations by the same family and was a classic example of
a small town general store. The second floor housed the owners and their
two daughters, both of whom graduated from Wellesley College yet
continued to tend to the store after the parents died. This store served
almost every need anyone would have at the time, from furniture to
grains, fabrics, foods, baskets, tools and much more. The train would
arrive once or twice a week with supplies and alternate days would be
reserved for delievries around town by horse and carriage.
Now operated as a museum by the Douglas
Historical Society, the store is stocked today as it would have been a
century ago. Open seasonally; call for programs and special events.
283 Main Street
Douglas, MA 01516