Armories of the
There are three historic
armories in Northern Rhode Island that interpret local military
involvement through their architecture, past use as National
Guard sites and as headquarters for local Colonial militias.
parades, marching exercises and band practices were once held in
these grand buildings. Peacetime public activities, such as
social functions, health clinics, family events and community
fortresses are now revitalized community centers, historical
society headquarters and venues for performing arts. Enjoy
viewing these sites and their significance over the Veterans Day
The three Blackstone River
Valley based armories are:
Pawtucket Armory, 172
Exchange Street (built 1894-1895) (seen above)
Located next to Tolman High
School, the site is now a major arts and entertainment complex,
featuring the Sandra Feinstein Gamm Theatre, renowned for the
breakthrough live stage performances.
Woonsocket Armory, 350 South
Main Street (built 1912)
Situated at the intersection
with Providence Street (Route 104) the building continues to
serve community residents as a local parish center. It is built
similarly to the 1902 Westerly, RI Armory.
Armory, Dorr Drive, Chepachet village (built 1865)
structure serves as the headquarters for the Glocester Light
Infantry, one of the state’s earliest militia groups that
regularly participate in the town’s Annual July 4th
Ancient & Horribles Parade.
on each of these sites, it is suggested that the State Survey
publications compiled by the RI Historic Preservation & Heritage
Commission be consulted. The agency has produced 60 survey
publications for each of the state’s 39 communities, for
specific neighborhoods, and for thematic projects. Although the
publications are out-of-print, they remain invaluable resources
for researchers, history buffs, and residents.