Saundersville Walking Tour
Submit/Find An Event ll Table of Contents ll Shops/Dining ll Explore the Valley ll Home
The oldest house on Elmwood Street is at 16 Elmwood Street which is also one of the oldest houses in South Grafton. The 5 bay hip roofed federal building was once the farmstead of the Holbrook family until the late 19th century. Holbrook was also involved with textile manufacturing using the water privilege in South Grafton.
Nineteen Elmwood is a later infill development which is a small cross gambrel version of a Colonial Revival cottage.
21-23 Elmwood is a multi-family double house with a high, hipped roof that had clapboard but is now covered with shingles. It is an early 20th century home.
Vigeant's Bakery used to be located at 54 Elmwood Street, a Queen Anne double floor building that used to have a home on the second floor above the bakery. It was located near the railroad and the canal and was built in the early 20th century.
The Pleasant Street Bridge, a two span stone arch, was built in 1907.
Leland's Landing was a stopover on the Blackstone Canal. This Georgian house, at 165 Pleasant Street, was built around 1730 and was at one time, used as a store and home along the canal.
The JW Leland House at 169 Pleasant Street was a farmstead that was built before the Saunders Cotton Mill. It is a to and a half story home with an ell at the back.
A typical early twentieth century double decker duplex can be seen at 183 Pleasant Street.
185 Pleasant Street is the home of a former grammar school in Grafton, but it is now multi-family housing. This is a three 3/4 story gable end building.
189 Pleasant Street was the only 6 unit multi-family house built by Saunders Cotton Mill. It still has its original clapboard and form and is vernacular Greek and Colonial revival style.
The Congregational Parsonage was located at 6 Messier Street which is a 2 1/2 story Second Empire style with mansard roof. Although it was originally the parsonage for Saundersville Congregational Church, it became the home for the widow of Essex Saunders until she died in 1896. Then, it once again became the parsonage.
Some of the earliest constructed Saunders Mill houses are located at 179, 181, 183, 185 Main Street. They are 2 1/2 story homes with 5 bays and pitched roofs. 185 Main is the most intact, although all of these homes have been altered, at least with their siding.
The Essex Saunders home at 176 Main Street was built in 1866-67 for the mill owner. It is an Italianate design built with a guard house on the hillt o make sure that the workers could all be seen doing their jobs. Its interior has some very expensive chestnut and black walnut woodwork and flooring. When Saunders died in 1893, this home housed some of the mill superintendents.
103 Elmwood was built by the Saunders Cotton Mill as a duplex in Italianate design. It is one of the oldest mill houses built by Saunders.
104-104A Elmwood is Grafton's ONLY example of Greco-Italianate vernacular style building. It was built as a boarding house to house the unmarried mill workers. The early 20th century house next door was probably built as a boarding house for the matrons. `
A Saundersville Walking Tour was compiled by Harry Bridge and Mrs. Parker's 4th Grade Class in the early 1990s.